Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Beans for soup or chili




We all know that dried beans are frugal and good for us, but many come to my house and say they don't know what to do with dried beans or say that they always forget to soak them.


The good news is that you don't have to soak dried beans.  In fact I really never do.  I just rinse them, pick out any trash, and then start cooking them with a teaspoon of salt.  If I am cooking them on the stove I check them after an hour or two and they are usually getting soft.  I then add my other ingredients to make soup or chili.  If I am using the crock pot, I cook them on high for about four or five hours and then add my other ingrediences.  Important tip, don't add tomatoes to beans before they are soft or your beans will not get soft.  I have learned this the hard way.  Tomatoey rock beans, yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment